We’ve been celebrating the magic of Disney’s New Orleans for Mardi Gras week. But New Orleans has been the site of many wonderful stories.
A few of my favorites include:
- Anne Rice made it the background to her tales of the Vampire Lestat and of the Mayfair family of witches. All of these books made me want to go visit the real New Orleans to see the beauty and mystery of the setting she described there.
- Currently, one of my must-watch TV shows, The Originals (a spinoff of The CW’s The Vampire Diaries), is set in the midst of territorial disputes between the vampires, werewolves and witches of that version of New Orleans.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s Captain Benjamin Sisko was born and raised in New Orleans and his father ran a restaurant there.
- Marvel Comics specified New Orleans as the home of that card-throwing thief, Remy LeBeau, aka Gambit from The X-Men.
And of course, there are Disney’s own interpretations of the location:
- The animated brightness of The Princess and The Frog featuring Princess Tiana, Prince Naveen, Charlotte, and more – of course you might also run into some of Dr. Facilier’s friends from the other side!
- New Orleans Square in Disneyland with its jazz bands and buccaneers and most famous ghostly residence – The Haunted Mansion attraction!
- Disney’s comedy film version of The Haunted Mansion where Eddie Murphy scared up some laughs with the help of some happy haunts
- The lovely and inviting hotels of Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter at the Walt Disney World Resort
Or there is the original Mardi Gras town itself: New Orleans, Louisiana!
If you could visit any one of these locations, which would you pick?