Gamora and Star-Lord at the Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off! And as usual – they’re in trouble and need help!
What is the Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!?
At this Marvel-ous show, guests young and old get the opportunity to boogie with Star-Lord and Gamora as they try to dance their way out of trouble with the Collector!
Gamora and Star-Lord with the boombox that starts all the commotion…
Star-Lord is his usual insouciant self as he tries to recover a boombox from under the Collector’s nose (or attraction?). Gamora just wants to get out of there while Rocket warns them over the loudspeaker to hurry up!
But of course, it’s never easy, and the Collector starts tracking the Guardians soon after they arrive. So when Rocket suggests using a lot of movement to fool the tracking system, Star-Lord starts a Dance-Off with the crowd and the musical merriment begins!
Who are the performers?
Groot, Star-Lord and Gamora at the Awesome Dance Off!
Star-Lord and Gamora from the Guardians of the Galaxy, along with some cast members invite guests from the crowd to show off their best dance moves!
And if you’re lucky, Groot may show up, too!
Mousertainment Tip: At the beginning of the summer, I saw Groot at each Dance Off show, but recently I was there and there was no Groot and someone said he may no longer be at every set. So if Groot is a priority for you to see – and dance with! – I’d suggest stopping by a few minutes prior to the show and asking one of the Cast Members stationed in front of the area if Groot will be joining for that set.
When and where can I find it? Continue reading
“Laughter on the levee, no one’s heart is heavy…”
In this patriotic week, I realized that I am long overdue to spotlight several of our bass-singing Dapper Dans of Disneyland – those staples of Main Street, U.S.A.!
These talented low-vocal red-and-white-costumed fellows provide much of the levity and comedy in the Dapper Dan routines, so I wanted to give a quick shout-out to a few more of these talented guys!
First up is Dapper Ken – Ken is a jovial gentleman for whom Dappering seems to be not just second nature, but first! Some people just seem so right in their roles and Ken is one of them! He’s got a lovely warm voice and an equally warm personality to go with it – with just a hint (okay, maybe more than a hint) of mischief in his eyes as well. He’s particularly fun to watch during the Halloween Dapper sets. I always wind up grinning when Ken is performing!
Next up is Dapper Wesley – Wesley is simply the one of the most perfect period performers at the park! He is the epitome of mid-century middle America and every time I watch him I keep thinking it’s like he stepped right out of “Leave it To Beaver” or a Jimmy Stewart film and into 1955 Disneyland Park. Watching Wesley is a total time warp for me and a great atmospheric addition whenever he’s there.
On certain occasions, Wesley has also been known to sing baritone – such as one day when he was found in that blue-striped role while another bass, Dapper Frank (a returned but still rare to spot longtime Dapper Dan), was in red! Continue reading
Disney California Adventure finally became a full day park for me when The Mad T Party arrived (although it was almost there with ElecTRONica). However, the influx of all the wonderful new entertainment options for the Summer of Heroes has finally brought me another excuse to want to spend many hours in this park instead of Disneyland Park!
I had a busy day recently checking out most of the new sights and even a few of the new bites! So after that, here are my thoughts…
Hero Action Center quiz area.
I first started off in the Hollywood Backlot where I wanted to take the quiz at the Hero Action Center to find out which super hero I’m most like! Similar to all those social media quizzes, I picked the answers on the provided tablets that I most closely related to and wound up with Thor! (Now, while that may be pretty accurate, for the record, I’m still #TeamLoki!) After your identity is selected, a Cast Member gives you a sticker representing your super hero as well as a free comic book. I took the sticker, but skipped the comic as I didn’t want to carry it around all day. Still, freebies at the park always equal awesome!
Next, I noticed there was some kind of Super Hero Showcase going on in the Sunset Showcase Theater. Honestly, I’m not sure what’s in there, but I’m guessing it’s the Marvel equivalent of the Path of the Jedi clip show that started in Tomorrowland for the Season of the Force. I skipped that one, too, since I’ve already seen the movies and I’d rather spend my time at the parks doing unique park things.
Black Widow and her S.H.I.E.L.D. transport!
As I was leaving the Hollywood Backlot area, I found Black Widow was out at the end of her “Heroic Encounter” before she headed back to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters, so I took a quick pic while she was there. But I still wanted to see the entire Encounter later that day. Continue reading
Is this the Eye of Agamotto watching?!
aka: The Dance Party That Shall Not Be Named!
For the Disney California Adventure Summer of Heroes, many locals were anticipating the return of a themed nighttime dance party for the park – preferably with a live band.
However, the promoted Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance-Off! turned out to be a daily audience participation show stop ala DJ’s Dance ‘n Drive.
But oddly stealthily, Disney California Adventure actually has added a nighttime DJ dance party – only it’s not on the published schedule nor is it advertised anywhere! Instead you just have to sort of stumble upon it or follow the pop music issuing from the former Diamond Mad T Party dance stage in Hollywood Land.
Here you will find the as yet unnamed Hollywood Backlot DJ dance party! Currently only temporarily scheduled for the next week or two, it is likely to be extended throughout the summer if perceived as successful. Continue reading
In honor of the major milestone on May 25, 2017 of the 40th Anniversary of Star Wars: A New Hope, I decided this week to run down a list of 40 things I love about the Star Wars franchise.
Note: these are in a random order pretty much off the top of my head as they occurred to me aside from the final number one choice!
- Kylo Ren’s temper tantrums – EPIC, but duck!
- Darth Maul – such a bold colorful character created randomly in the middle of the prequel chaos. He was the Boba Fett of the prequel trilogy and I still wish we had seen him more in films.
- Poe Dameron / Cassian Andor – I would like to take this time to personally thank the casting directors for giving us Oscar Isaac and Diego Luna. That is all.
- General Leia – for all the girls who grew up wanting to be Princess Leia… and then became the women who want to grow up to be General Leia, Carrie Fisher is owed a great debt of gratitude.
- Getting to see actors from the prequel series and the original series in the sequel series and standalones. Yay for continuity!
- Wicket. Yes, the space teddy bears were probably not the best idea in retrospect. But still… cuddly Wicket.
- Getting to make your own custom Star Wars action figure with your own face on it at various Disney Star Wars events via D-Tech Me. Everything. REALLY hoping this comes to the new Star Wars Lands as a regular offering.
- And along with that – the “Build Your Own” stops at both Disneyland Park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios where you can build your own light saber, droid (ala R2-D2) and newly introduced protocol droids (ala C-3PO).
- The dearly missed Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. No, I never went to one, but I always enjoyed reading about them and would have loved to attend even once.
- Hugging Chewbacca at the Launch Bay at either Disneyland Park or Disney’s Hollywood Studios. If you have not been hugged by a Wookiee, your life is incomplete. Sorry. Continue reading
Awkward rock family photo featuring: Tomasina and the boys!
In lieu of the nighttime Marvel Dance Party entertainment option many were expecting for the Summer of Heroes at Disney California Adventure (which has turned out instead to be a daily interactive show stop for the little ones ala DJ’s Dance ‘n Drive) – the happy news many of us had hoped for has come true:
The bands are returning to Tomorrowland Terrace for the summer!
Weekends from May 26th to August 20th will once again be filled with the sound of live rock and pop music at the classic Disneyland Park venue and the fans couldn’t be happier!
Set times are scheduled for: 7:30 PM, 8:35 PM, 10:00 PM, and 10:45 PM (as always, subject to change)
Returning bands include two of my favorites: The 80z All-Starz and TOMASINA – along with some new to the location such as Grilled Cheese Soundwich who drew big crowds in Downtown Disney over the past few months!
So far, these are the dates scheduled: Continue reading
I’m not going to see the new Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 movie until tomorrow, but I know that one major thing I’m looking forward to is seeing how the soundtrack will integrate into the story. And I have complete faith in director James Gunn and Marvel to make musical and cinematic magic once again!
I think it’s safe to say that the original “Awesome Mix Vol. 1” soundtrack was at least half the reason that the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie was such a hit. Baby Groot dancing may have been the other half of its success – which is no doubt why he seems to be front and center in the advertising for the sequel!
Taking a look back to the first soundtrack, I can scan this list and off the top of my head sing or hum most of them:
Awesome Mix Vol. 1:
- “Hooked on a Feeling” by Blue Swede
- “Go All the Way” by The Raspberries
- “Spirit in the Sky” by Norman Greenbaum
- “Moonage Daydream” by David Bowie
- “Fooled Around And Fell In Love” by Elvin Bishop
- “I’m Not in Love” by 10cc
- “I Want You Back” by Jackson 5
- “Come and Get Your Love” by Redbone
- “Cherry Bomb” by The Runaways
- “Escape (The Piña Colada Song)” by Rupert Holmes
- “O-O-H Child” by The Five Stairsteps
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
The second soundtrack isn’t quite as obvious for me – although there are several songs on there I do love. However, I expect to recognize most of them when I hear them playing during the movie: Continue reading